So Paul and I went for a little drive today (it’s a pretty day) in the Spitfire. We needed to fill the little gas can for the lawn mower, and figured we should top off the tank in the Triumph.
The ride to the gas station was uneventful. We went south along the St. Paul side of the Mississippi River Parkway, then left on Randolph. There’s a gas station at Randolph and Snelling that sells non-oxygenated fuels, which is better for older cars that weren’t designed to run on this new-fangled oxygenated stuff.
Along the way, every now and then, the tachometer would make a little grinding noise, accompanied by the needle bouncing around a little erratically. No big deal, I thought — it’s actually been doing that quite a bit this spring — it’s probably a loose connection, or a fraying cable, or something like that. In the end, it’s just the tachometer — it’s not exactly critical to forward movement.
We filled up the car, and the gas can, then got back in for the ride home. Fortunately, the noise was gone. Unfortunately, the tachometer was stuck on zero. It looks like a new cable on Victoria British is $14.95, so I foresee an upcoming order for that, and potentially a couple of other parts.